With this thought in mind, a call went out to the many Quakers and their friends to gather at the Twelfth Street Meeting House of the Society of Friends in Philadelphia on December 30, 1901. The purpose of this meeting was to consider the purchase of a tract of land on Little Pocono Mountain.
Using the name of “Pocono Inn Company”, an Association was formed which was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In Philadelphia, on the 8th day of January, 1901, a contract to purchase was signed covering a tract of land in Monroe County, 700-800 acres on the crest of Little Pocono Mountain. The actual construction of the Inn begun on April 15, 1902 and drew a great deal of attention from the surrounding villagers who made careful note of its swift progress.
On Sunday, May 24, 1902 at 2:30pm, a public sale of choice lots convenient to the Inn, was held on the grounds. This successful sale of lots established the Cottage Colony here and through the restrictions
and minimums placed on the construction of homes, the settlement gained an air of exclusiveness.
On August 15, 1902, the first manager of The Inn arrived, Mrs. Mary Emma Wister. While the construction crews raced the building to completion, the new employees began assembling the furniture and setting up the many operations in preparation for the arrival of the first guests. On August 16, 1902 the first guests arrived and were accommodated in one of the 65 newly finished rooms. Daily arrivals continued thereafter until October 15th, when the Inn was closed for winter months.
The 1903 season began on June 18th, on which date the new West Wing was completed. The original dining room (today known as The Exchange) was enlarged to accommodate the increased capacity of the Inn. Also in 1903, it was recorded that the first Friends Meeting took place in the auditorium of the West Wing.
In November of 1907, the Association’s Board of Directors authorized the construction of the “Winter Inn”. It was completed in 1908 and opened in October of that year. With the operation of the Winter Inn from October to June, and the Main Inn from June to October, Pocono Manor Resort & Spa became a year-round Resort, one of the first in the Poconos.
The beginning of today’s 18-hole East Course dates back to 1911, when it is recorded that “the new golf course has been laid out and work on clearing of the same is well under way”. In 1912, the first 9-hole course at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa opened.
In 1925, the Inn had its greatest addition with the completion of the “Brick Tower Wing”. This 8-story building contained 106 rooms and was the most impressive structure in the entire region, commanding a view of over 50 miles under favorable conditions.
In 1927 the present 18-hole East Course was completed. Designed by Donald Ross to keep uphill climbing to a minimum, the 6,350-yard course had a Par of 73. It was also in 1927 that the golf headquarters were established at the present Golf House. Since opening, The East Course has been host to many of the golf legends; Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Tommy Bolt, Gene Littler, Doug Ford, Jackie Burke and Jerry Barber are just some of the famous players who have tested their skills here at The Manor.
In 1959, Art Wall Jr., while representing Pocono Manor as our touring professional, won The Masters and was named PGA Player of the Year. Pocono Manor has also hosted players from the Senior Tour, the LPGA, and was one of the featured homes of televisions “All Star Golf” with Jimmy Demaret in the 1960’s.
In 1959, Pocono Manor completed and opened its George Fazio designed West Course, a favorite of the long ball hitter. The Inn continued to grow with additional sports facilities, guest rooms and other amenities.
On September 22, 1966, in the place of the founding, the Meeting House of the Society of Friends in Philadelphia, the Association sold the Inn. Mr. Samuel Ireland, founder and owner of Ireland Coffee & Tea, Atlantic City, New Jersey, purchased the Inn, taking over operation in January of the following year. Mr. Ireland immediately began a refurbishment program which the Ireland Family continued over the next 38 years.
In December of 2005, the Inn was purchased by a partnership, led by a real estate development company based in New York City.
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa is listed on the National Registry of Historical Places and we are proud to have been welcoming guests for more than 100 years.